I act for clients on a wide range of civil and commercial matters.
I was admitted as a barrister and solicitor in 1981 and became a specialist barrister in 1987. I joined Shortland Chambers in 1989. I have appeared as senior counsel in literally hundreds of cases in the High Court, the appellant courts and in arbitrations. I have extensive mediation experience. I provide opinions and advice and am available to act as an arbitrator.
In 2013 I was appointed Queen’s Counsel.
My success rate in the Court of Appeal alone is more than 80%.
Court of Appeal (since 1990)
- Steel Co Ltd v Pipes NZ Ltd – Senior Counsel for successful party in commercial contract case (2016)
- Wendco (NZ) Ltd v Wiri Licensing Trust & Anor – Senior Counsel re judicial review re development commercial complex – successfully completed (2015)
- Body Corporate 341188 v Escrow & Ors – Senior Counsel re successful appeal re apartment building’s covenant rights (2015)
- Watts & Hughes v Complete Siteworks – Senior Counsel re Construction Contracts Act payment schedules (2014)
- Kim v Lee – Senior Counsel for Plaintiff/Respondent re defamation proceedings – successful damages claim (2012)
- Johnston v R B Road 391 Ltd – Senior Counsel on appeal for successful party re sale and purchase of industrial property (2012) – successfully opposed leave to Supreme Court (2011)
- Tisch v Body Corporate 318596 – Senior Counsel for successful party re schemes of arrangement s48 Unit Titles Act (2011)
- Harlow v Sherman Ltd - Senior Counsel for successful Appellant in farm purchase case (2010)
- Trustees of Smith Family Trust v R Jones Holdings Ltd - Senior Counsel for Appellant in commercial leasing case (2009)
- Erceg v Balenia Ltd - sole Counsel for successful Respondent in superyachts purchase case (2009)
- Erceg v Balenia Ltd - sole Counsel for successful Respondent in evidence procedure case (2008)
- Avondale Hotel Ltd v Portage Licensing Trust - Sole Counsel for successful Appellant in commercial leasing case (2005)
- Carter Holt Homes Ltd v Carroll Logging Ltd - Senior Counsel for successful Respondents in commercial forestry logging case (2003)
- Johnson v Watson - Sole Counsel for successful Appellants in building/constuction case (2002)
- Specialised Livestock Imports Ltd & Ors v Borrie & Ors - Senior Counsel for successful Respondents in commercial Fair Trading Act /company law case (2002)
- Clarence Holdings Ltd v Hall & Ors - Sole Counsel for successful Respondent in lease /company law case (2002)
- Corunna Bay Holdings Ltd v Robert Gracie Dean Ltd - Sole Counsel for Appellant in harbour board lease case (2001)
- Ellery v Blair - Sole Counsel for successful Respondent in commercial lease case (1998)
- TVNZ V Quinn - Sole Counsel for successful Respondent in defamation case - awarded record damages in NZ (1996)
- NZIB Investments Ltd v Nicholson - Sole Counsel for successful Respondent in summary judgment commercial lending case (1995)
- Bolton v Dawson - Senior Counsel for Appellant in commercial arbitration case (1995)
- Quinn v NZ Harness Racing Conference - Senior Counsel for successful Appellant in administrative law / judicial review case (1992)
- Hankins v The Prudential Building & Investment Soc - Sole Counsel for successful Appellant in summary judgment commercial development/lending case (1992)
- Lomas v Foreland Investments Ltd - Sole Counsel for successful Appellant in commercial lease case (1991)
- Shell Oil NZ Ltd v Wordcom Investments Ltd - Sole Counsel for successful Appellant in commercial land sale case (1991)
- Blackman v Grant - Sole Counsel for successful Appellant in land purchase / injunction case (1990)
High Court /District Court /Arbitrations/Mediations
- A large number (several hundred) of cases in all jurisdictions etc on an ongoing basis since 1981- in respect of the areas of practice as listed