Adam practises in civil, corporate, and commercial law (including insurance), and regulatory crime (securities, corporate, trade practices, environmental).
Adam attended Auckland Grammar School and thereafter the University of Auckland, where he completed his degree in 1988. Adam then worked as a judges' clerk in the High Court at Auckland, before joining the litigation department of Kensington Swan in 1991. He completed a master's degree at the University of Virginia in 1992, and returned to Kensington Swan where he appeared - both with senior advocates and alone - in numerous courts and tribunals throughout the country.
Adam joined Chapman Tripp's litigation department as a partner in 1996, where he worked for the next 18 years on cases great and small, and on corporate/commercial advisory matters. For some years Adam has been recognised by Chambers & Partners as a "Band 1" lawyer in litigation and dispute resolution, and in insurance. Adam commenced practice as a barrister sole at Shortland Chambers in March 2015.
Relevant professional and community activities, prizes
- Senior Law prize, Fowlds Memorial Prize, Kensington Swan Scholarship, Finalist - Stout Shield mooting competition, Finalist - NZ Universities mooting competition, Case Notes Editor - Auckland University Law Review
- Fulbright and Rotary scholarships
- University of Virginia School of Law Fellowship
- Cleary Memorial Prize
- Council member, Legal Research Foundation 1995 - 2005
- Faculty member on occasion, New Zealand Law Society Litigation Skills Course
- Presenter, Auckland District Law Society seminar, Civil Litigation in Practice (2007)
- Presenter, CCMAU / Massey University seminars for new government-appointed directors to crown entities and other public organisations, on corporate governance (2007, 2008)
- Presenter, Health and Disability Commissioner's Medico-Legal Conference, Judicial review in the health sector (2009)
- Member of advisory board, Auckland University Law Review (2006 - present) and inaugural speaker at AULR Symposium (2010)
- Presenter, Institute of Directors' Company Chairmen's Workshop, Taupo, with Sean Hughes of the FMA, Criminal liability of directors (2012)
- Member of advisory board, Centre for Human Rights Law, University of Auckland School of Law (2012 - present)
- Presenter, New Zealand Law Society Intensive on Personal Liability for Commercial Dealings, with Jenny Cooper (2013)
- Presenter, advanced writing course for University of Auckland honours law students (2008 - 2013)
- Presenter and panellist, Institute of Directors' Leadership Conference 2013, Health and safety reforms and the implications for directors (2014)
- Trustee, New Zealand Opera Foundation (2004 - present)